January 05, 2011

Frida Obsessed?

Me?
Obsessed with Frida?

A dear little friend made this forme for Christmas
And a dear little sister made this for me for Christmas.
That same little dear sister gave this doll to me too.
And this...this is just a self portrait of me a Frida.
My mom asked me not too long ago why I like this woman so much.  "What is it about her?"
"I mean, her art is crazy!"  
I know.  That's one of the things I like about her.  She let it all hang out.
I admire her.  Her angst.
Her survival of extreme pain.
Her need to express herself through art.
I feel like, had we ever been fortunate enough to cross paths, we would have been close friends.
Maybe,   after this life we will be!

3 comments:

Laraine Eddington said...

I can't remember if I have asked you this, but have you read Barbara Kingsolver's novel "The Lacuna" that has Frida as a central character? I love Barbara Kingsolver.

Therese said...

I am a Frida Fanatic as well...I love going to the mercado in San Antonio and stocking up on all of the Frida treasures...another book that you may enjoy is Frida by Barbara Mujica...interesting readl I long for the day where I can have a little room just for me and Frida...

Anna M said...

I believe your dear little daughter gave you that doll, too. You know, when she was living with your awesome little sister.

that wood on the frame looks *really* old. What's the story on that? ;)