January 05, 2010

Stop me if I've given you this one...
One of my favorite recipes...
It's from Ina...
You know, the goddess of delicious desserts...
You need to find one of these:                                  (lemon tree.)

So you can make some of these:                              (lemon bars.)


(this picture taken from mybakingaddiction.com.  Because, well, you've seen how I photograph...)
If you lived near me, I'd pick some for you from my tree out back...

You MUST use fresh lemons.  You must swear that you won't make these with lemon juice from a bottle.  It would be blasphemy.  Trust me.

Ina's Lemon Bars
for the crust:
1/2 lb. unsalted butter at room temperature
1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 c. all-purpose flour
1/8 t. salt
 for the filling:
6 extra-large eggs at room temperature
3 c. granulated sugar
2 T grated lemon zest (4-6 lemons)
1 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 c. all purpose flour

     Confectioners' sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

For the crust, cream the butter and sugar until light in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.  Combine the flour and salt and, with the mixer on low, add to the butter until just mixed.  Press the dough into 9 X 13 X 2-inch baking sheet, building up a 1/2 -inch edge on all sides. 

Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned.  Let  cool on a wire rack.  Leave the oven on.

For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour.  (Don't skip the lemon zest.  I used to because I didn't realize how much of the lemon flavor actually comes from the very outer layer of the lemon.  When you grate the zest, be sure not to get any of the white of the lemon because this can be bitter.  Just graze the very top of the lemon skin.)  Pour over the crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the filling is set.  Let cool to room temperature.

Cut into triangles and dust with confectioners' sugar.

My three things:
1.  Classical music
2.  My piano
3.  My mom paid for all of my years of piano lessons and then listened to me practice every single day!  Thanks.

3 comments:

Pam said...

I truly appreciate the appreciation. It was actually a pleasure to be awaken at 5:30 or so by your beautiful playing. You are talented in so many ways.

6p00d8341c007f53ef said...

YUM!

Miranda J said...

YUM!