September 18, 2009

Thursday Morning Scones

Yesterday, I got the "big" kids off to school, hubby off to work, and a couple loads of laundry done. I was on a roll...until my little ones told me they were SOOOOOO hungry. Who forgot to feed these dolls! Oh, me. They were pretty disappointed and put out that we were out of bagels. "Let's make something! Together!" Really, Mom? You're acutally going to let us help this time? Yes! So we decided on cinnamon scones. Nothing sings Good Morning to me like cinnamon and sugar. I tweeked my Ina Garten scone recipe and we ended up in SOFT SCONE HEAVEN:


Cinnamon Scones
Preheat oven to 400
In a mixer, mix on low:
4 c. flour
2 T baking powder
2 t salt
Then add:
3 sticks of butter cut into cubes
Mix just until butter is in little peas.
Add:
1 c. milk, 1/3 c. sour cream, 4 large eggs whisked
(I do the milk and sour cream because I NEVER have cream on hand. )
Mix just until combined. You may need to add up to 1 c. flour more.
Dump onto WELL floured surface and roll to about 1/2" thick. Sprinke, generously with brown sugar and cinnamon. Fold. Now gently roll to about 3/4". Cut out in triangles, rounds, hearts... Place on greased baking sheet.
Brush with 1 egg and 2 T milk whisked. Dust with sugar.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until browned on the outside and the inside completey cooked.
Wynnie told me we are DEFINATELY (her new word) making these again!
Do yourself a favor this morning and bake some. The errands can wait!

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

I am drooling!! These sound so good, but can't bake today... Puppy got shut in the door last night, so we are back to the vet for x-rays... 17 year old is sick, so we have to go get a swine flu test... 9 yr old has a teacher in service day. It won't be a fun day off for him!
Thanks for sharing this goodness.
xxx kim

apparentlyjessy said...

Cinnamon scones sound delicious!