August 03, 2009

My Grandpa had a cattle ranch, the Milky Ranch, that bordered the Petrified Wood Forest. All his life he had mineral rights to all the petrified wood he wanted. Because of this, petrified wood has had a huge existence in our lives: tables, book ends, bolo ties, spheres, fireplaces...to name a few. His dining room table was an enormous slab - it was an unbelievable sight! Now that my Grandpa is not around, I have a soft spot for petrified wood. I probably didn't appreciate it enough before because there was always so much of it. (It was even in his pool! And my dad's pool!) Once in a while I will make a piece, incorporating the prettiest cabs I have found. It's not a typical type of piece for me to make, but it is more a product of sentiment. This particular piece is surrounded by silver beads and hangs on a chain of pearls and turquoise. I like the mixture of classy pearls and rustic wood. The necklace above it is just a simple crystal cab hanging from a turquoise chain.

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

These are both so pretty. I love them together. I don't know that I've ever seen petrified wood in jewelry before. Isn't it funny how we don't appreciate things that are right in front os us, but they are what we go to for comfort.
Enjoy your week.
xxx kim

Jill said...

OH how lovely...and the story makes it extra special!
Blessings!

ana said...

Its so beautiful!!!
where do you sell your jewerly?
in Etsy?

Kimberly said...

Thank you, Angela, so much!! I absolutely love this necklace! you could not have done anything better for me. You are an Angel! I love your blog for all your creative and loving ideas, suggestions and whims. I will support you always!! Your love of life family and home shines through your blog...this is what makes me look forward to your post each and every day. Your ideas and accomplishments are a constant source of inspiration. Thank you so much!
xxx kim

Whitney Johnson said...

It's quite pretty. Even more so because it's a part of your heritage.

Cassandra Barney said...

I love it! I could be Georgia if I was wearing both of those!
Cool!