August 12, 2009

Back to School

Back to school means: School supplies, back packs, and a new pair of sneakers.
Things also start to resemble the Brady Bunch around here. Only I play the role of Alice AND Carol. Some kids don't mind their name on their bag, and some do. I don't want anyone to have to feel "uncool". But I also have to know which bag is who's because some don't like mayonnaise, some don't like spicy chips, some do, some don't want cheese on their sandwich, some want just a half...it's nuts. But what makes them all happy? A treat. (At least, that's what I think makes them happy. It's my little, "I love you! Have a great day at school!")

When I was growing up, I got a crunchy granola bar for my treat. That's back when granola was considered "healthy" and "natural". All I desired was a delicious Hostess snack: a Twinkie, a Zinger, a Ding Dong! Anything but a dry granola bar that threatened to chip a tooth with every bite! (O.K., that was a bit dramatic. But when you're a child, the world is going to end if you don't get what you truly want!)
I know my mom was trying to feed me what was best, but it definately created a monster in me with a crazy sweet tooth. You always want what you cannot have. And in this case, I constantly thought about where I could get my next treat fix. Luckily, I had friends that would sympathetically trade their hostess for my granola bar. I guess since they had it, they didn't feel desperate for it. They knew there would undoubtedly be another one in their lunch the next day. What a comfort.

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

Happy first day of school to those kiddos. I know mine are itchy to get back. They don't start till th 24th, but we are off to register Callie at the HIGH SCHOOL right now!! I bet there is a delicious treat in those bags!!
Have a happy day!
xxx kim

Beach Vintage said...

Children do think it's the end of the world don't they.....it's so hard sometimes to see it from that point of view.

apparentlyjessy said...

Gosh I so wish I grew up with you as my Mum! Seriously, you are awesome! I love the lunch bags all lined up, all ready to go! I had to make my own every day!

I just would like to let you know that I aspire to be a really cool fun Mum like you one day!

Morgen said...

Your kids are soooo lucky! My kids are lucky if I buy them lunch meat for them to make their OWN lunches.

Chelsea said...

Look at all those lunches! Someday I will be making 6 lunches for all my kids to take to school. I was also one of those healthy lunch girls, I never got ding dongs and treats...I envied the others.

Jill Bagley said...

ha ha---I dont know if its really true that kids want more sugar because they cant have it. i give my kids junky stuff all the time. and they certainly still prefer it over anything. and we always have lots of alternatives. my mom and sister always give me crap about how my kids seek out sugar everywhere they go because they dont get it at home. and i just think that some kids have sweet tooths, and some kids like more variety. but you have inspired me to want to put more twinkies in my daughters lunch. even if she does get home and thats the only part of lunch thats eaten.:)
also---funny that you have liberty market on your blog, last time i was in AZ we went there. i too thought the food was great. but the red velvet cake was a big dissapointment. your so lucky to live in AZ!! go to chelseas kitchen for the most intoxicating red velvet cake in history!~