July 06, 2009

"What's for dinner, Mom?"
"I don't know, honey, why don't YOU tell me."

We started a new Summer tradition...and I LOVE it. The kids have a night of the week that they are in charge of dinner. They have to come up with the idea, let me know the ingredients needed, and then show up to prepare it. They can come up with anything...maybe they want to learn how to make one of their favorites or maybe they want to make what they already know. I'm there to help if they want. Now, we did wait until 8'o clock to eat this yummy meal because "someone" was off golfing and not thinking about dinner until his tummy got hungry...I'm not mentioning names but...

BBB (Big Boy Brock) did a fabulous job making Peanut Thai Chicken. I know, you couldn't tell how impressed and proud I was. (When I started taking pictures he was a little put off and told me, "You better not be putting these on YOUR BLOG!" He never reads this.)

I really love spending the one-on-one time with the kids in the kitchen. I hope that they can all find the enjoyment in cooking that I have yet to find. (I do love to bake, though.) It was great to see BBB add his own touch of basil and cilantro to the recipe. (I didn't even know he'd know to do that!) Maybe someday his wife will thank me (and his big sister) for teaching him to cook. It is my gift to "her". (Something I would have wanted!)

I could tell that it, indeed, did make him feel good that I was excitedly snapping shots of his culinary accomplishment; when it came time to photograph his dish, he hurriedly sprinkled more red peppers into the bowl to make it look good. I laughed.



Special note: This not only has alleviated the pressure off me of "what am I going to make for dinner tonight", but also the pressure of Hubby being happy with the choice of what's for dinner. If it's scrambled egg sandwiches, he's a bit deflated, and I just say, "But it's what she wanted to learn to make." No problem.

11 comments:

Pam said...

Great idea, Ange. My Dad thought that he would try this with me when I was a teenager and it only lasted one night!!!! What does that say about my abilities.... or his patience?

Kimberly said...

What a great idea, and what a darling boy!!! (My big boy keeps telling me, it is illegal to post his picture w/out his consent, when he sees the camera come out! ha!). Are your little ones cooking too? Hubby always asks; what's for dinner? Will everyone eat that? stupidest question ever...maybe this would help us too. Have a great week! :) KIM

The Vintage Kitten said...

Oh No, your mum did put it on her blog LOL! Well done BBB, that looks delicious! X

Angela Henrie said...

Kimberly, everyone 8 and older is cooking. They all ate the Thai chicken that night.

And, Mom, is that you?

apparentlyjessy said...

Well done to BBB, that dinner looks really delicious! I bet cooking for so many would get tiring, its hard enough catering for 4! I agree, cooking with loved ones is a great way to connect :)

I initiated a similar rule with my younger sister, she is vegetarian, and I wanted her to take more responsibility for her diet, so every Monday night she has to cook dinner, she picks a recipe on Friday and we shop for it over the weekend, has been really positive so far!

Beach Vintage said...

How yummie does this look? 10/10 for presentation.

Federica said...

Looks so yummy!

Rose said...

Youve come up with a great idea. I cant imagine my 19yo brother cooking for his family! so you are very lucky your kiddies are willing :) my bf says 'these photos better not be going on your blog' also haha.
I love the pink wall behind BBB too!

Rose

Christel Jensen said...

Hi Angela
What a great idea. I just have to say that I love your pink kitchen:) It is just the right tone. My husband wouldn't approve in this color I think. What does your say?

Catherine@Simply Natural said...

What a brilliant idea! Your future daughter-in-laws are going to thank you one day for sure! I encourage my son to help me cook, but I will try this idea soon!

Grace said...

That's so funny; we do the EXACT same thing at our house. With the three kids, we rotate every Sunday night and a different kid makes the dinner. I love it!