July 28, 2009

Dear C,

I hope you're not too angry with me for painting the door. I mean, the doors. You were adamant about me NOT painting the gate, so I left it alone...for you. I didn't think you'd really mind if I painted the front door...it's already painted. And it can always be painted again. (It's just paint.)


You never really said anything or reacted to the front door being blue. I didn't think you even noticed. Afterall, you never come IN or OUT of that door. Then when one of the kids excitedly told you about it, you didn't display any distaste for the color. At least, not out loud. Maybe in your mind you did, but you held it in because you were too tired from your hard day at work.


I, personally, love it! It makes me think of the ocean when I get a glimpse of it driving down the street. Remember the trips we used to take to the beach? We'd try to get there any chance we could get! It's our favorite place to be. Maybe someday we'll end up living by one... (Oh dear, if anyone will BUY a house with a BLUE door! I don't know...it could potentially lose a sale for us...)



You always come home through the side entrance. And being that it's just around the corner from the front door, I really felt strongly that they should match. You know I'm not uptight about things "matching", but this seemed important and crucial to the flow of the exterior of the house. I thought you of all people would consider that. So I painted it, in the thick of the humidity, working hard before the sun had a chance to peek around the house and burn my little shoulders.
I love it! I think the greenery "pops" and Cowboy Bud seems more at home now. All I need now is to plant more bouganvillea. The contrast with the doors will be beautiful! Don't you think? Sweetie? I know you'll get used to them. And pretty soon, you won't even notice they're blue. I'll wait it out. (Just like the cabinets I painted. Remember? You hated them. But you haven't said anything about them for the last couple of years. I don't think you notice them anymore. That wasn't so bad, was it?)










If they really continue to bother you, you know we'll collaborate on a color we BOTH like and then you can paint them. But just give the blue doors a chance...they may just grow on you.
Love,
Ange
xoxo

14 comments:

Pam said...

Wow, Angela. The doors actually do look really good. I was dubious, but with the style and color of your house....they looks great. And yes, if you painted one... both needed to be painted. I am with you all the way.

Kimberly said...

So cute!!! How can he be angry?!?
AS for the doors they are even better than I expected!! I can't imagine them any other color, and it looks like you did a wonderful job! As for resale-my philosophy is that if I do something I love to my house, everyone else usually does too, so why wouldn't someone buy it like that?!
Looks beautiful to me. Perfect color. Cowboy Bob is too cool!!!
Good luck with your man. He'll come around!
xxx kim (didn't know there was ever any humidity in AZ???)

Anna Macfarlane said...

ooh, I like them! I'd buy your blue doors and the house that goes with them!

It's like a turquoise bauble on a tan body!

cadi said...

They are fantastic! I love it!

rebecca said...

WOW! You are so brave. I think the blue looks amazing, and yes, more bougainvillea will look beautiful!

Julie Bou├ęsso said...

Oh they look amazing! I am sure he'll love them - esp. since they now go TOGETHER! HAHA! you have to update us on his take on them! :-) Cheers, Julie

onehm said...

absolutely perfect! C would be crazy not to love them...

Tutu said...

I liked the new color that you painted it mom

ana said...

perfect color! I love how they look
congratulations Angela for the new color :)

Debbie & Don said...

I say "Do what makes you happy" That's why I have a silly face on my pine tree and metal Egrets on my front lawn, and plastic flowers in my pots. They make me happy!

Rose said...

LOL you do make me laugh. Im glad you painted the doors, because they really do look great!

Rose

apparentlyjessy said...

Haha, you are a crack up! Maybe your husband secretly loves it, and doesn't want to admit it!
I LOVE the colour you chose, it looks fantastic!

Kellie Collis said...

Oh that blue fabulous door! Wish my door was that colour! x

Christel Jensen said...

Lol That was so funny. My husband usually don't say much about my decorating either. BUT..I wanted a big photo of Paris in black and white (from IKEA) and he is so against it! He even manage to say that it would only be good as toilet paper!! Do you have any tips maybe? I want that picture;)