July 29, 2009

The Adventures of "Blatting" and Other Fun Times



Have YOU been blatting? I have. (Believe it or not, it involves Hostess fruit pies...I usually have to find a chocolate one...) My sister took me years ago. I've taken my other sisters and two of my girls. We all took the blatting oath. It's an oath we all take seriously. So I can't tell you what blatting is. I have to SHOW you. (Hubby still doesn't know what it is. He won't just go, he wants me to just tell him what it is. I won't tell him because I took the oath. That really bugs him. But what can I say? I am TRUSTWORTHY.) Wanna go? I'm taking Tula tonight. She's never been - only HEARD about it. She left a comment on my shaving cream post: She said "It was the best day of my life." It reminded me that I need to keep life fun and throw in a surprise once in a while. Those make for the best memories.







My dad used to do things like that for us. Those are the things I remember the most. The little things. Probably the things that cost the least amount of money. The times my dad let his hair down and threw caution to the wind. Have I told you about the time he MC'd a roller skating party in our circular driveway...I probably have. It's foremost in my memory bank. How about Marco Polo games he'd play with us in the pool? He made up bedtime stories all of the time. REALLY good ones...off the top of his head.





One time, as he drove all of us 6 kids up to Utah for a ski trip (without Mom) he wanted to go off road and show us a "really cool shortcut he took as a kid". It was beautiful and picturesque...until we got stuck in snow. Oh yes, it was a memorable trip, spending the night in a stranded, cold Suburban. He woke up every 1/2 hour or so to start the engine or flash S.O.S. lights to any passing aircraft. In the morning, we said a prayer together, he gave us some rules to obey, and then he headed off on foot, in just his cowboy boots, to find help. He ended up rallying a rescue team and saved us from a slow, freezing-to-death death. He was our hero.

All I am saying is this: ENJOY time with each other. Make the most of each day. Every night I have to ask myself, "Did I CONNECT with each one of my kids today? If not, I'm going to do better tomorrow." Sometimes I have to let my hair down, do something a little crazy. Shock the socks off them now and then. They ask, "Mom? What the world? Is that you?" Live it up! I can show them: I am MOM and I am FUN. You may think I'm weird now, but you'll look back someday and say, "She was CRAZY. Remember that time?" Oh the memories we will have to talk about in our rocking chairs on the porch...

13 comments:

jbw said...

I'm dying to know what those delicious hostess pies can be used for!!! Blatting???? I would be there if I could!! TN is a bit far from Mesa tonight! It's killing me not to know the code! But I agree it's always so fun to shake things up with our kids, I think they are shocked sometimes to see what we are capable of! Have fun blatting{whatever it is!}

Miranda said...

Great post!

Kimberly said...

Not fair!!!!!! I don't know what it is. I'm guessing it has something to do with fried pies and a tennis raquet.
I told my mister it had been raining in the afternoon there (he has an office in Phoenix)...He said "ya, it's monsoon season" Obviously I don't get out often.
Have fun Blatting with Tula.
xxx kim

Kimberly said...

Oops, I maeant to tell you how sweet the stories of your father and his pictures are. You are fortunate to have had these special times. So are your kiddos!!
xxx kim

Roxanne said...

No fair! Now I'm dying to know what blatting is!For Heaven's Sake, how are you going to 'show' all of us?!

Loved your 'Dad story'. I totally agree with you Angela. Live life to the fullest!...and don't forget to make it fun!

Tutu said...

thankyou mom thankyou thankyou for taking me blatting

domestic bliss said...

I am soooo happy that I have personally experienced blatting with Angela Henrie- oh how lucky I am.

You are right- life is too serious- and we need to find/make time for the crazy, fun things.

My kids are always shocked when I pull out my crazy card.
xoxo
K

Anna Macfarlane said...

For a minute there, I thought you were going to break your oath to the WWW!!!

phew

Alan thinks he has it figured out. stop guessing men, and come out and play!

Jill said...

sounds like our house...my kids NEVER know what to expect...I like to keep it that way...it's just too much fun! I guess I call it "artful living"...
Love your story...and I loved those fried pies!
Blessings!
Jill

Tutu said...

mom you are the best

Pam said...

OK. OK. OK. When I come in August for Amanda's baby, let's do it. I just can't stand the suspense any longer.

Angela Henrie said...

Mom, you may just pee your pants. No, you definately will. But I can't wait. Can you bring Anna? It just wouldn't be the same your first time without her there.

Beach Vintage said...

I love how you say "if you didnt then try harder tomorrow". I love how we can all change our actions if we can notice them and realise tomorrow is another chance.