June 12, 2009

Socorro

I have a very dear friend whom I also called my neighbor for several years..Socorro. (Yes. Go ahead. Roll your tongue as you say it.) She is beautiful both inside and out. She taught me many things: Serving others with a smile (a HUGE smile), work hard - never give up, be the hostess with the mostest (she is THE BEST at this), and, most importantly, how to make salsa. I know, I am kidding, but her simple Mexican cooking HOOKED me! I have always been a very picky Mexican Food eater. I like it simple, authentic, and don't try to fancy it up with cream cheese!

I have these beautiful tomatoes growing and a new fondness for canning....what to do...

I canned salsa last night. I had all of these fresh Summer ingredients that needed to be bottled up, pronto. Salsa is very personal. At least, it is to me. Hubby can open up a jar of Pace and be totally satisfied. Not me. I haven't touched the stuff since high school. Making your own is simple. You really can change it around to your liking and no one can tell you that it's wrong. (Just don't go putting celery in it. That's just not right.)

SALSA
In a fry pan (I use one with the grilling bottom) char: 4 tomatoes, top stems cut off
Any peppers you like with the stems and
tops cut off (I usually use a
couple jalapenos and a yellow one
In a blender mix: 1 chopped onion (sometimes I use a sweet one)
1 bunch cilantro
4 cloves garlic

After the tomatoes and peppers are charred on all sides and soft, add to the blender. Add salt to taste (this really helps the flavor "pop") and mix well.

Now don't go using a bag of grocery store chips...you must make your own from corn tortillas. Honestly, it's the only way to go. Cut the tortillas in little pie wedges and fry in a deep fryer. (I bought mine at Target and it has been the best! Love Target.)

7 comments:

Kimberly said...

Great recipe. I'll try it this weekend! We only make our own salsa in this house. We also make our own tortillas, which is an excelent project for your little ones (especially the flour tortillas). They get to mix with their hands, roll balls, tear wax paper....right up their alley! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
I LOVE your labels!!! :) KIM

Lyndsay said...

I can't wait to try this!! I love Salsa recipes!

Here is mine:
2 cans mild Rotel tomatoes
green onions, chopped
small can chopped black olives (I use half the small can, actually)
cilantro, chopped
garlic, minced
squeeze of lime juice
salt and pepper to taste
Blend in a food processor. Enjoy!

Anna Macfarlane said...

What about MY Nana's chips. Come on, pop 'em in the microwave for 20 seconds and it is like restaurant deliciousness. Your salsa looks fantastico!

Lindsey Wood-Felstead said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I too am a salsa fanatic!! I cannot do bottled salsa...only homemade. I am constantly trying new recipes and am thriled to try yours. Thanks for sharing!

apparentlyjessy said...

Mmm I love Mexican food, I really should have a go at making my own salsa, thank you for sharing the recipe! :)

Kellie ~ Ada and Darcy said...

Hmmm just ate dinner and now im hungry again!! Yum!!

Kimberly said...

Made the salsa again this morning (Saturday is Salsa day) using much less cilantro, and it is red not green!!! YAY!! It is so good. The ROASTED tomatoes really make it! Thanks again for sharing it! :) KIM