June 16, 2009

So I was out by the pool today...wait. This is not me and my bathing suit. (Does that look like a Land's End Mom bathing suit to you! I think not.) So I was thinking about this crazy world we live in and how I am going to keep my kids steered in the right direction. It is a complicated job, this Mom job I have. Every child I have born is SO different from the next. How can the same 2 people have 8 so very different individuals. We are the same parents to each infant. We pretty much stick by the same rules for everyone. Or do we? No, we have had to customize our parenting to fit each child. They all have different needs, and part of the parenting process is finding out what those needs are, and then DESIGNING the perfect parenting role to fit. Whew! What a project this life is. I have had a very pensive couple of days if you couldn't tell. It's like lightening has struck my brain a couple of times in the last 48 hours. What does Oprah call it? The "A Ha!" moment? Sometimes it helps to be able to sit back and just take everything in. Let life slow down a little and just OBSERVE. You can learn SO MUCH from doing that. There are definately rough patches or bumps in the road, but most often, those experiences bring about the BEST and most rewarding lessons. It's called the silver lining. Look for it, because it IS there.

Image from Frenchblue

5 comments:

Federica said...

I thought that this girl was you! I was thinking..what a strange bathing suit! hahahaha
By the way, I know what you mean even if I don't have kids yet.

Kimberly said...

We are definately different parents to each child! Just as we are a different person, wife, husband and friend every day of our life. We are forever growing and learning, becoming more patient in some ways, more strict in others. The things we thought would kill the first child, we know are harmless to the third child. Children are individuals, like snow flakes...no two are alike! Have fun in the sun! :) KIM

Beach Vintage said...

Because I have only 1 child its hard for me to comment, but I know that I am a different Aunt to my 3 nieces. By the way, I wish that was ME in that photo. But alas, it is not.

Dumbwit Tellher ♥ said...

Love the photo. I adore the Lands End comment, perfect. Ahhh..you are so right in what you say. I have four children and sometimes I feel at times it's good to rest back & just think about the whole exhausting but rewarding process. My eldest son just graduated from college last Saturday. It's amazing what emotions a rise when you sit there watching them walk up to accept their diploma! Earth shaking. Lovely post. Really enjoyed it.

The Little Jewelry Box said...

Thank you for the sweet comment on my blog. I your post today. I of course am obsessed with that necklace. What you said was sweet and true. :)