June 03, 2009


So I did not get the kids to rally around the bookshelves yesterday. Sometimes in life, things just don't go the way I plan...so I try not to plan...instead, I did something so HOMEMAKERISH, I surprised myself! I have been reading up on canning and preserving for a while now because I have been wanting to build up my pantry. I want it to feel like I'm in the grocery store, never to be discouraged to cook or bake something because I just don't have the ingredients on hand. There's been an empty spot by the jars of peanut butter, "We need jam!" My abhorrence to fruit set aside, I took a trip to the Ranchers Market, but a ton of "smelly" strawberries, and then begged my daughter to mash them up for me. (I can't even touch them...and to see them getting all squished and juicy made me woozy.) I mixed and cooked , but all the while wished I had a gas mask to wear...do I sound pathetic? I really am. But I had to illustrate the severe sacrifice I made for the fam.

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

I have never heard of anyone having quite the aversion to fruit the way you do!!! How funny! Not even a little watermelon in the heat of the summer?? :) KIM

Anna Macfarlane said...

I know that must've been hard for you. What a mother.

My big question is: How did you pass on this fruit aversion to MY son? It's despairing!

Beach Vintage said...

Thats so funny about the strawberries. I could drown in them I love them so much.

Julie Bou├ęsso said...

YUM! I am sure your family is thankful for their new jam & your sacrifice! Care to post/email the recipe?

Cheers, Julie

Tutu said...

them strawberry jams look tasty!!!