May 25, 2009

My War Veteran

This Memorial Day is especially dear to my family because we remember Grandpa Bud. He lived with us for 5 years and taught us numerous lessons. More importantly, he gave us the opportunity to serve. We miss him and reminisce A LOT about him. I'm so glad my kids got to be around him for those years. Growing up, I thought of him as a bit of a grouchy, tough, cattle rancher. I remember his hands being cut up from maintaining his barbed-wire fences. I miss those hands. The big turquoise rings and bolo ties. I miss when he'd wear his bright red socks and his same obnoxious polyester Hawaiian shirt over and over. I miss seeing his cowboy hat laying around and his "sunglasses" that were really just tinted safety glasses. I miss the handfuls of wrapped mints he'd grab, day after day, from the Country Club Mens' room after he'd played cards - I'd find them all over; in his car, on his dresser, in the kitchen.... He was really just like an M&M: Hard candy shell, but a very soft center. He wasn't much of a conversationalist, but when I could get him to talk about his life, WWII, my grandma, I loved hearing the stories. He taught me so much about giving to others, especially family. He gave away petrified wood tables like I give out baked goods. I miss him...but I really try to emulate those characteristics I respected so much in him. He was a helluva Grandpa. (That's how he would have wanted to be remembered.)

8 comments:

Shelly Beson said...

That so sweet Angela. I still have the coffee can of sawdust you gave me when he was building on to your house. It's enough to last a lifetime of turquoise pendant.

Sincerely, Shelly

Anna Macfarlane said...

We were just talking about him over at our house. I sure miss Grandpa Bud and will be forever grateful for the time he lived with you so we could all be closer. I love how when my kids would be in his game cupboard, making a mess, he'd say. "Let them play, they can't hurt anything." (and they totally would mess things up, but he did not care.) He was a good man!

Beach Vintage said...

How wonderful your words are. So beautiful and from the heart. Wish I could write like this.

amy said...

I miss him too Ang! His red socks always made me smile. Did he purposely want to wear red socks or were they the only clean ones? Thanks for giving me the opportunity to serve him and love him too!!

Emily said...

Your grandpa must have been a very special person. Here's to a "helluva" guy!

Angela Henrie said...

Amy, he had a TON of socks. That's what was so funny about it. He really liked them.

Ricks said...

I sure do miss Grandpa too. You were lucky to have him around! And I am thankful you were there to take care of him! He was a helluva Grandpa!

Morgan said...

I miss him everyday....and it's true, he didn't like to talk that much. But when you did get him talking it was great!!!