May 14, 2009

My cousin, Katie, got me thinking about birthday parties...little girl birthday parties. I was thinking about a froufy white coconut cake with flowers on it. But then, somehow, my memory transported me back to my love and obsesssion of Hostess treat days. Pink snowballs, specifically. It's not too difficult to shake a baggie of coconut and rose food coloring to come up with this poof of yumness. I came across this chocolate cupcake recipe on Martha Stewart that is so moist and soft. The vanilla French buttercream frosting is marshmallow-like with vanilla bean.



I hate balloons. Not the look of them, but the SOUND. They make me cringe. But if I could have someone blow up the balloons for me, or even transport them for me, then this would be a very fun and festive display. (Of course, if there is no ceiling fan in the room. Do you know, and my mom will testify to this ridiculous fact, that I had a mylar balloon stuck in my ceiling fan for like 5 years!!!!! The ceiling is about 20 feet high, so nobody was too eager to volunteer to untangle it. It's no longer there, of course. And I have not bought a get well balloon for any of my kids since.)


I love, love, love this centerpiece! Roses surrounded by fluffy feathers. (Both these photos from Shabby Chic) The table cloth adds even more femininity - perfect! (It reminds me of a skirt I wore in the 80's.) And finally, I love this ribbon frosted cake. (I think I would need a class before I even attempt this frosting job.) Good luck, Katie!

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

I love the thought of beautiful, fluffy little girl parties (my little boy parties tend to be just as fluffy!), and how did you know snowballs are still my favorites!?! I have a wonderful source that sells the really big cupcake ballerinas (sp?). Let me know if you need some. Fun, Fun stuff! How's the kitchen??? KIM

apparentlyjessy said...

Those are some very pretty girly cupcakes! I love coconut and pink together :)

Anna Macfarlane said...

So, is the martha stewart frosting THE frosting you've been searching for? (or "for which you have been searching") I don't want to go too cream cheesey, but less tickles, too.

BTW, Johnny just asked me why Angela always does fancy stuff after looking at your post with me. "She's a fancy lady."

shell said...

and we all know I LOVE FROSTING!!!

Snooky doodle said...

this cake is awesome. So nice!