May 08, 2009

Mothers



Happy Mother's Day to ALL the Moms. I am proud to be a Mom. Sometimes it gets a little old, the comments I have to endure when people realize how many children I have..."Have you figured out how this happens yet?!" (especially love that one.) But, gosh darnit, this is the life I have chosen and I stand behind it 200%. I would never trade it for the world...it is the most gratifying, tortuous, joyful, frustrating, entertaining, splendid thing I have ever done. I love every challenge and special moment. It has grown me into the person I am today. Thanks, kiddies.

One of my memories I have of my mom is her little notes she would occasionally slip into my lunches. They were always written on a napkin and accompanied by a special, once-in-while baggie of chocolate chips. So maybe she always packed crunchy granola bars for me instead of the hostess cakes I so desired and craved, but those notes put the cakes to shame. (Besides, I had a friend who ALWAYS had a Hostess treat and wanted my granola bar - we traded EVERY DAY.) Who needed Hostess when I had my mother's love. Love you, Mom. Happy Mother's Day!

Do you have a special little memory of your Mother? I love stories. Do tell...

8 comments:

Pam said...

Thanks, my darling first born!!!

1 I appreciate that more than you know. Or maybe you do know as the mother of 8 MARVELOUS children.

Love you too.

Jane said...

Did you really trade? I love Granola Bars.

Angela Henrie said...

Yes, Jane. I was not a very health-conscious little girl. I loved cream filling!

Brooke and Brett Martin said...

Beautiful story. Love it- your mom is sure an amazing woman!
I need to sign Taylin up for a summer art class ASAP!!! My mom says I HAVE to...and I still do what she tell me to. How do I? Where do I?
xoxo

shell said...

i can only imagine the kind of mom you are. i bet you do fun stuff like latenight treat runs and stuff. i live next door to a great mom and if you guys can be BFF....you got it goin on!! both of you's!! (you and H)

Beach Vintage said...

Happy Mothers Day Angela. I have many many memories of my mum, but mostly the 'laugh', my mum was always laughing.

Carolyne said...

Congrats on your 8 children! That is quite the accomplishment!

Roxanne said...

My mom was the Hostess Cup Cake Fairy! She always let us eat them and I've got the figure to prove it! The pink snowballs were oh, so pretty! But my favorite was the chocolate w/ chocolate icing w/ the little white loops down the middle. Anyway, she was a wonderful mom that always knew how to make you feel 'special'! Last Thursday, on my birthday, I wrote about her. One thing I didn't mention in my post but was reminded of your blog, was my all time favorite birthday cake had those little plastic ballerinas dancing across the top. I saved them and still had them when I got married!