May 03, 2009


It's late Sunday night, kids are in bed, kitchen cleaned up, and I'm wide awake having just watched the season finale of Tough Love. Yes, I admit, as I have before, I tend to watch junk now and then. If it's a series I like, then I'm a loyal, weekly viewer. It's a way for me to unwind and not have to think...
But now, I am thinking...do I ponder all of the things I didn't accomplish this past week, or do I look forward to what I AM going to accomplish this coming week? Lately, I have found that I notice more of what I don't get done than what I do get done. It's time to do a positivity check. I coach myself along, focusing on seeing the good, not so much the bad. It can be pretty easy as a domestic engineer (housewife) to feel like we don't measure up. I'm here to say that I feel like that often, but am reminded that I can only do so much. As I tell my kids, "I'm not an octopus! I can't do everything at one time!" I need to remind myself of that. I don't have to be an expert at EVERYTHING. That's what cleaning ladies are for. (KIDDING) Stay calm, be patient, and be thoughtful. I am a memory maker right now...I want my kids to reflect back on growing up as "good times", "nice Mom", and of course, "the best birthday cakes EVER!" What's important to you? Live by that...and every once in a while, remind yourself so you don't carried off in "I'm not good enough" land. (That's NOT a good place.) Now get back in there and scrub that bathtub!

3 comments:

Beach Vintage said...

Sometimes if my house gets a little messy, I just leave it and go outside and push my daughter on the swing.I always feel better afterwards and feel I can tackle the house chores better.

Pam said...

Way to go, Angela. The goal of every parent is that the next generation is better than the previous one. Your attitude and goals are extremely wise. I am proud of you.

melanie said...

Thanks! I need to hear that every so often. I think a cleaning lady is the answer to all my stress in life. I just can not let my kids see someone else doing something that they should. I also want to be the best birthday cake mom. I just cant get them to turn out. I will have to get your recipes.