April 12, 2009

Easter Dresses, Schmeaster Dresses

Cupcake and little "Flower Girl"


So Easter came upon me like a tornado! I didn't seem to get done what I wanted. What to do, what to do... Glad I had some pillowcases on hand to whip up a couple of Easter dresses. I literally made the little yellow "flower girl" dress this morning, BEFORE church! (I even made breakfast and got my own self ready too!) I didn't find any new patterns that I was crazy about this year, so I opted for the pillowcase dress. So easy and so fun. Take a pillow case, cut down to size from the top of the case. Cut down about 7" on each side and roll each armhole twice for a clean, new seam. Roll the top down twice about a 1/2" each time and sew a clean line. Now you have a casing for some cute ribbon. Pull that ribbon through with a safety pin and gather. These will tie over each shoulder. Now you're free to embellish. I did my own embroidery pattern, but you could even do applique. It's absolutely endless, the possibilities. I find that when I embroider, I get a smoother finish if I iron on some interfacing on the underside, before I do any decorative stitching. With a package of two pillowcases from Target costing only about $8, it's not a big deal to just experiment!

7 comments:

Julie Bou├ęsso said...

Awesome job - dresses out of pillow cases?! VERY creative; you ought to be given an award for your invention! :) Cheers, Julie

Amanda said...

Love them!!! Impressive!

Carolyne said...

Angela, that is such a good idea! I'm always looking for simple things to make for my daughter! Your embroidery is so cute! It's a nice touch!

I'm excited to see the print in your daughter's playhouse!

Janice Lois said...

What a great idea!! Target is best source of buying amazing stuff!! Those baby girl dresses are so cute!!

pve design said...

So - do you sell these.... I think they are the bee's knees. I could see them in a print too with the embroidery on top - like your toile thing...I love it.
What did you wear, a matching one?

Angela Henrie said...

Yes, I wore a matching one - king size! NOT!

Virginia Janet said...

You did a great job.!! Those Easter dresses are super cute.